There are frauds that happen online, via fraud websites, phishing emails or Vishing. For those who do not know what phishing is, it is a combination of both “Voice” and “Phishing” that you get which prompts you to share your personal information. When you get a Vishing call then the scammer uses the account credentials. The cybercriminals say that the account is compromised and then claim that they are from your bank and offer you help. They can also prompt you to install malware software and in return, you get trapped.
Vishing is just a type of scamming phishing voice message that you get which appears to be from a trusted source but in actual it is not. The goal is just to steal the victim’s identity or the account details for the purpose of misuse. In this article, you will get to learn more about the Vishing scam and how you can take preventive measures to stay away from the scam. Moreover, we recommend you to download Norton antivirus to stay safe and block the malware attacks. You can download Norton antivirus along with its updates via Norton.com/setup.
What are some of the common Voice calling scams that might occur?
There are generally 4 types of voice phishing scams that come to light. Here is the list of the common scams that are given below:
- The compromised bank account and debit or credit card details.
- Spontaneous loans or other investment offers.
- There are IRS tax scams
- Scams with medicare or social security
How to spot a Voice scam on an early stage before it occurs?
Get to learn the ways by which you can spot the Vishing scams before it happens:
- You receive a phone call where the caller is claiming to be a representative of the IRS, medicare or the social security admin authorities.
- There is an utmost sense of urgency in the call.
- The caller is prompting you to provide your valuable information.
How to take protective measures to avoid Voice phishing scam calls?
Here are some of the tips and tricks which can help you to stay protected from the Vishing scams:
- You can join the “National do not call registry to stop anonymous people to illegally contact you.
- Do not pick up your phone when you get calls from unknown or anonymous contact.
- Just hang up the phone call the moment you suspect it’s a random voice phishing call.
- Do not respond to the prompts you are receiving from unknown contacts who prompt you to provide your valuable information.
- It is always important to verify the caller’s identity once you get the call.
- Install Norton Mobile Security to block such suspicious calls.
How to recover once you got into the Vishing scam?
If you have become a mere victim of the vishing scam and have provided the financial information to the scammer then it is important to first contact your financial institution. It doesn’t matter if you are a credit card or a debit cardholder, call your card issuer or bank, medicare contact and then tell them to cancel the fraudulent transaction or block the upcoming transactions regarding the same. You also need to change the account numbers to make sure no further transactions happen.
In a conclusive viewpoint:
By now, you know that the vishing attacks are made to trick you to the most vulnerable malware issue. It is hence possible to block the Vishing attacks by considering the tips given in this article. You can further consider downloading Norton antivirus software, and most importantly avoid accepting the calls from the unknown calls and random callers.